Sienna Duffield had just celebrated her 2nd birthday with her family. The day after the party, her mom Savina French-Bell noticed a strange rash on her daughter’s face. It was the beginning of a terrible time for the family.
It would take eight months before doctors would at last realize what was behind Sienna’s terrible rash.
“It started to look like someone had thrown acid over her face, it spread from her mouth to her cheeks, and above her eyes,” mother Savina told Inside Edition.
And that was the beginning of a long nightmare. Sienna’s terrible rash did not disappear, and the doctors didn’t know what to do. For eight months, Sienna suffered.
Sienna’s condition deteriorated to the point that her face was covered in painful blisters that bled when they broke. The mother describes that it was like her daughter’s face was being eaten alive.
Sienna’s clothes were constantly bloody and she had difficulty eating because of pain around her mouth.
The mother often resisted going out with her daughter due to strangers’ stares and cruel comments.
At first, doctors thought that Sienna’s rashes were due to eczema or an allergy, but none of the drugs they prescribed had any effect. In the end, it went so far that Sienna was hospitalized. She could no longer eat and the doctors had to keep her nourished through an IV.
Desperate to find the culprit, Sienna’s mother carefully went through the events leading up to her daughter’s rash breaking out. It was only then, eight months after the first incident, that Savina recalled that a relative had given Sienna a kiss.
It turned out that the relative had herpes.
Sienna had been infected by herpes simplex virus type 1. At last, doctors could provide the right treatment.
Soon enough, Sienna’s skin healed and she was able to eat again.
“For the past few months, Sienna’s face has looked amazing and the infection has not returned,” Savina said. “There is always a chance of it coming back, but fingers crossed it won’t happen and her skin will stay as good as it is now. It’s great to be able to go outside and not get any horrible comments from anyone.”
The mother now wants to warn other parents not to let anyone kiss their children. Although it is not visible, anyone can carry herpes and small children can be very sensitive against it.
Fingers crossed that little Sienna never has to experience anything like this ever again!
We have previously reported on Claire Henderson, whose infant daughter was close to losing her life after being infected with oral herpes through a kiss.
A kiss can be very dangerous to small children. Please help share this with all the parents of young children you know.